Wednesday 5 November 2008

A different kind of creation

Howdy bloggers!

I love to cook and my kids love to eat what I cook (lucky, aren't I?) so it is a happy combination for me when I make something they will all love and I know it won't go to waste.

So, on Sunday I decided to cook a yummy egg & bacon pie, a recipe that I got from my mum (Charlene), which is so easy, and which we all loved as kids too.

Here it is (you can see where I started to cut it up, then decided I wanted a photo of it, I was so impressed lol!).


What do you think of the leaves? Due to the size of this monster, I had to join 2 sheets of pastry together, so the leaves were a way to hide the join (and stop the eggs from oozing out lol). They didn't rise up the way I had hoped, but they still look ok.

And, it was so popular that, as of yesterday, there is none left!! Oh, and the monster this size took 12 eggs to make! Yes, that's right, 12!!!

For anyone interested in making this, here is the recipe.

Charlene's Egg & Bacon Pie
Ingredients
(for an 8 inch square pie dish. If your dish is larger, increase the amount of bacon and eggs)
1 x sheet ready rolled Short Crust Pasty
1 x sheet ready rolled Puff Pastry
9 x eggs
300gms bacon (approx), the rind and some fat removed. Cut the bacon into large pieces.
milk to brush over top

Method
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line the pie dish with baking paper.
2. Place the Short Crust pastry into the dish, mitreing the corners and pressing any joins together well.
3. Cover the bottom of the pastry with bacon, so that none of the pastry is visible.
4. One at a time, crack open and put the eggs on top of the bacon, so there are three rows of 3 eggs. Using a sharp knife or a fork, pierce the yolks and scramble the eggs very slightly, so that the yolks are spread a little.
5. Carefully lay the Puff Pastry over the top of the eggs and press the joins together well.
6. Brush milk over the top of the pastry with a pastry brush.
7. Place onto the middle shelf of the oven and cook until the pastry is golden brown and puffy (approx 35-45 mins). Cooking times may very, depending on your oven. If the pie is not quite cooked, just leave in the oven for another 5 minutes or so.
8. When cooked, turn the pie out onto a cooling rack.

This pie is delicious warm with a salad, or eat cold from the fridge. Excellent to take on picnics or as a lunch box filler or snack.

To freeze, cut the pie into portions and wrap in foil and place in a bag. To thaw, simply leave on your bench top for an hour or so (or reheat in the microwave, after removing the foil, on medium heat for about 20 seconds). I am not sure how long it will last in the freezer, as it only stays in ours for about 2 days lol!!!!

ENJOY!!!

Deanne
xx

PS: Thanks mum for being such a great role model. I always enjoyed watching you cooking at home and have many fond memories, particularly licking the spoons and getting the yummy sweet pastry scraps!! Love you!!


7 comments:

Sandie said...

Wow Deanne, this looks so scrummy!!!! Isn't it just the best to share much loved recipes. Thanks for the inpsiration.
Hey the leaves are a nice touch - that's the scrapper in you I reckon.......LOL.

Luv Sandie

Rachel said...

Oooh, yum Deanne - I love bacon & egg pie (never thought of making it in a square dish tho' LOL!). Thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Pepper

Unknown said...

Yum Deanne... that looks very tasty!!! Lol about the leaves - I was thinking the same thing as Sandie :)

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh YUM! I had to write down the recipe straight away & no doubt hubby will be expecting it in the weekend ;) So better make sure its all on the shopping list me thinks :) Thanks heaps for sharing the recipe & yes, the leaves look so professional! How cool! (mine won't look that good unfortunately lol). Will let you know how I go ;)

Wirg's Creative World said...

Hey Deanne I hope you have a wonderfull weekend away and the most memorable birthday too. Love ya matie, oh and how yummy does this pie look, think I'll have to have a go at making it myself.
love and hugs
Wirgie x x x

Allison said...

That's so simple! Gotta love a great recipe that's so easy to make. I have a couple of bacon fiends in my house, I'm sure they'd love this pie too.

Jenni's Space said...

mmmmmmmm this looks delicious dee, can i come to dinner next time you make this?